Although everyone has times of feeling sad, blue, or down, for many, these feelings usually pass and do not interfere with one’s ability to work and function in life. For those suffering from depression, these feelings can be debilitating and interfere with one’s daily functioning. Do you experience some of these most common symptoms of depression:
- Feeling sad or empty?
- feelings of hopelessness
- Loss of motivation or interest in almost all activities, most of the day
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt
- Trouble thinking or concentrating
- Trouble sleeping or excessive sleep
- Overeating or appetite loss
- Thoughts of suicide
Types of Depression
- Major Depression
- Postpartum Depression
- Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
Why do we get depressed? Why does it persist? How do we treat depression? There is no one single cause for depression. Depression can be caused by many factors, including psychological reasons, interpersonal issues, the experience of loss, social factors, and biological and genetic predisposition. Depression is maintained by an interplay of cognitive, interpersonal, behavioral, and emotional factors.
The treatment of depression involves first taking a thorough inventory of your life and your current functioning. We will explore your internal reactions to current and past stressful life events and begin to identify your emotional and cognitive patterns and responses to these events. One we get a good understanding these patterns, we will help you to:
- Explore ways to better integrate, face, and experience your emotional responses that are being cut off, avoided, and converted into depressive symptoms.
- Help you to identify and stop any reactions that block the experience and working through of your true emotions.
- Explore the ways you tend to interpret and see your world, how you think about things, and the ways these thought patterns are maintaining your depression.
- We will help you modify these thought patterns and help get in touch with your old healthy self again.